Whilst we have a range of packages available, we are happy to discuss your individual requirements so that we can provide a bespoke service tailored to your ever changing needs.
We deliver a range of packages which provide a complete professional clerking service and a comprehensive programme of Governor Training and Development.
Our Department works with Governors to assist them in their increasingly complex role in the strategic management of their School/Academy to promote high standards of educational achievement. All our clerks are DBS checked.
Enabling Decision Making
Our clerking service includes:
- Collaborative preparation of focussed agendas for Board and committee meetings
- Distribution of agendas and accompanying papers
- Circulation of draft minutes to the Chair and/or Headteacher within 10 working days of the meeting.
- Ensuring meetings are quorate and management of governor attendance and absence
- Advice on Board composition including vacancies, disqualifications and expiry of terms of office.
- Support for Governors and appointing bodies on timely management of appointments and governor election processes
- Advising and leading on procedural matters relating to the election of a Chair
- Maintaining a register of pecuniary and business interests.
Supporting Leadership and Management
The enormous value of a good clerk as legal adviser should not be underestimated” NGA – Governing Matters
We have a team of experienced, professional clerks to support and guide your Governing Board meetings and committees. Our clerks will work alongside your Governors to assist them in their increasingly complex role in the strategic management of your School or Academy. All of our clerks are accredited, or working towards the accredited clerk qualification.
Your S4S clerk will be on-hand to support and guide your Governing Board meetings and committees. We will advise Governors on the practicalities of Headteacher accountability for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, the performance management of staff and the monitoring of financial performance and effective use of the schools resources.
S4S clerks are independent and accountable directly to the Governing Board, avoiding potential objectivity issues that could occur if clerks are employed by an academy chain, or by the school in another capacity.
- Advise the Governing Board on governance legislation and procedural matters before, during and after meetings
- Act as the first point of contact for Governors with queries on procedural matters.
- Have access to appropriate legal advice, support and guidance, and will where necessary seek advice and guidance from third parties on behalf of the Governing Board.
- Inform the Governing Board of any changes to its responsibilities as a result of a change in school status or changes in the relevant legislation.
- Advise on the annual calendar of Governing Board meetings and tasks.
- Send an induction pack to new Governors and ensure they have access to appropriate documents, including any agreed code of practice.
- Maintain up to date records of the names, addresses and category of Governing Board members and their term of office and inform the Governing Board and any relevant authorities of any changes to its membership.
- Maintain copies of current terms of reference and membership of any committees and working groups and any nominated Link Governors e.g. child protection and SEND
- Undertake appropriate and regular training and development to maintain his/her knowledge.
- Keep up to date with current educational developments and legislation affecting school governance.
Developing Skills and Confidence
The S4S Governor Support service offers your Governing Board ready access to a comprehensive CPD programme. We have a catalogue of pre-defined courses, but can build a support programme to match the needs of your establishment.
You can see the full range of courses and development opportunities we have available at: